Wednesday, May 30, 2012

buttons & micro beads

The Fabulous Friday Challenge at Frosted Designs this weeks is "weddings" and Moxie Fab World has a Damask & Brocade Challenge on their blog, so I've combined the two today to make a wedding card. I encourage you to check out both these blogs for challenges and great inspiration!

There are so many beautiful brocade and damask patterned papers available right now, but I went back to my Echo Park Victoria Garden paper pad - all I can say is, this investment has paid off for me big time. I know I've used the papers on at least 4 cards already in the last couple of months - in fact, there is very little of the paper left :(

I winged it again this week - no sketch to get started.  I poked through my dies looking for shapes that went with the brocade patterns and ended up using a Spellbinders Label 16 die and a My Favorite Things Perfect Bracket Edge Die-namic.



I really did want to keep the embellishments simple, so created a free form heart with pink and white buttons.


Like many of my fellow crafters, I don't love the look of "naked" buttons and started threading them with a linen thread. For the first time, maybe because there are so many buttons, I hated the look of them threaded!?

What's a papercrafter to do, but cut the threads and go to Plan B {LOL}.



I had used Glossy Accents to adher the buttons - I love that it dries so clear and can hold their weight.  I smeared a little more Glossy Accents on top of the buttons and in the spaces between them and sprinkled a few seed beads and a whole lot of Martha Stewart crystal microbeads over the entire thing.

Anyone else have a multi-color pack of the microbeads that rarely sees the light of day in your craft room? It really does feel good to pull out and use some of this product.


I am so pleased with the finished heart!

Instead of more buttons, I colored a couple of white pearls with a Copic marker to finish off the sentiment tag. The sentiment is a stamp from My Favorite Things Clearly Sentimental about Anniversaries collection.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie

4 comments:

  1. This is very beautiful! You just may win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bunch of buttons for your heart! very pretty too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I hate naked buttons, but these are so "frosted" and pretty that I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!